Have a Hearth
* Blend a new fireplace into a room by placing it along a wall with architectural interest. The Hurts built a paneled wall and installed rough-hewn ceiling beams to lend depth and dimension.
* Give the feature authenticity by choosing an antique mantel and surround.
* Construct a wood ledge at the base of the fireplace opening for a hearth, and face it and the opening with brick veneer.
* Center a vintage-inspired electric stove in the space.
* Accessorize the fireplace with related artifacts such as a match holder, bellows, bedwarmer and kettle.
Photographed by Gridley + Graves